Thursday, May 5, 2011

Google Docs - a file sharing and collaborative wiki application

When I was asked to look at Google Docs as part of my BAPP course I felt slightly disheartened as my ability to use new computer programs successfully is somewhat non-existent. However, after many months avoiding the task I finally came to the point where I was in need of help with proof reading and checking through my project and sending emails with attachments was becoming quite messy. Although rather late on in the day, I have finally discovered how easy to use and helpful an application Google Docs can be.

Google Docs is essentially a word processor that allows you to store and create new documents online. This can be beneficial in many ways. With your documents or files stored on the internet, you can easily access them from any computer with an internet connection, allowing you to either view or edit your work away from home or your personal laptop. Google Docs enables the owner of the documents or files to share their work with others they wish to allow. The owner can also choose if those people can edit the document, which is a useful tool for anyone working on collaborative projects.

In particular I have found this application useful for sharing with family and friends to help me proof read and check through my project and also as another way to back up my work other than just relying upon a computer hard–drive or USB which can either be broken or lost. I also liked how easy it was for me to add people that I wished to share my work with. Simply typing in their email address and pressing the share button sent an email with a key to my document directly to them for easy and efficient access. The only hang up I have about Google Docs is that being on the internet I am always aware that my privacy could be invaded. This would prevent me from ever sharing any particularly private documents. However, I am surprised at how much I like the Google Docs application and am pleased to have been introduced to it. I hope and am sure that it will be of great use to me in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment